This chicken taco casserole is creamy and crunchy! Layers of Doritos, cheese, chicken, and beans along with your favorite taco toppings for the perfect dinner.
Casseroles are easy dinner recipes. Easy dinner recipes are my favorite. My college philosophy professor would follow these statements with “Casseroles are your favorite” and he’d probably be right. I *may* have not done well in that class but I do remember a thing or two…
Anyways… many casseroles, this chicken taco casserole recipe included, are dump and bake recipes which saves loads of time. If I can save time, I’m in. Time saving recipes aren’t just for moms and dads, y’all.
I love cooking but even I don’t want to spend all of my time in the kitchen. So more casserole recipes to the rescue, for all of us.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
How to Make A Chicken Taco Casserole
This chicken taco casserole is really easy to make and is sure to please your whole family!
Start by lightly coating a 9″ x 13″ casserole dish with cooking spray. In a large bowl, combine the salsa, sour cream, and taco seasoning. Then add the chicken, black beans, and cheddar cheese – stirring until well combined.
It’s casserole assembly time. Spread out 1/3 of the crushed Doritos on the bottom of the casserole dish. Top that with 1/2 of the chicken mixture. Repeat these steps one time and then top the casserole with the remaining crushed Doritos.
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the casserole is bubbly. Allow the casserole to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
What ingredients do I need
What kind of chicken should I use
I almost always use a store-bought rotisserie chicken when I make this casserole because I want to save as much time as possible. Rotisserie chicken recipes are my go-to.
You can also used chopped up chicken breast or thighs. I recommend cooking the chicken first and then chopping it up.
How to make this chicken taco casserole spicy
There are so many ways to make this recipe spicy!
- Use Spicy Doritos. I usually use Nacho Cheese Doritos but will swap them out with Spicy Sweet Chili or Spicy Nacho flavored chips.
- Use spicy salsa. There are so many salsa brands out there and many have a chunky AND spicy version.
- Add more dried spice. Taco seasoning includes spices already but there is no reason you can’t add more. Add an additional 1-2 teaspoons cayenne pepper or hot paprika.
- Add hot sauce. Add 1 tablespoon of hot sauce to the chicken mixture prior to assembling.
- Top with hot peppers. For garnishes, include fresh jalapeño slices or pickled jalapeños.
Taco Casserole Topping Ideas
Top your plate with any and all taco garnishes. Some ideas include shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, sliced olives, scallions, avocado or guacamole, cilantro, onions, sour cream, and shredded cheese.
Can I prepare this casserole ahead of time?
Most casseroles can be assembled ahead of time and this chicken taco casserole is no exception. Prepare as directed in the instructions and then cover it with foil or plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
How long do the leftovers last in the refrigerator?
Any leftovers should be kept in the refrigerator, without any toppings, and eaten within 3 days. Please note that because of the chips, the leftovers may be a little soggy. This doesn’t bother me at all, fyi! If it bothers you, I will accept all leftover deliveries. 🙂
Looking for more taco inspired recipes?
- 9.75 ounce bag Doritos chips, broken into pieces
- 2 cups chunky salsa
- 1 ounce package taco seasoning
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 14.5 ounce can black beans (not drained)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat a casserole dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the sour cream, taco seasoning, and salsa. Add the chicken, shredded cheese, and beans and stir.
- Spread 1/3 of the broken chips on the bottom of the casserole dish. Top with half of the chicken mixture. Repeat layering - 1/3 chips, remaining chicken mixutre, and the remaining chips.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese has melted. Add desired toppings and serve.
- Green onions
- Sour cream
- Black olives
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 262 Total Fat: 15g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 56mg Sodium: 777mg Carbohydrates: 15g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 3g Protein: 16g