Go big with this layered taco dip recipe – it is the perfect appetizer for large crowds. Ground beef, refried beans, cheese, cream cheese, sour cream, and more. Add this appetizer to your game day or party menus!
My go-to recipe for potlucks has always been this 8 layer taco dip recipe. It’s a taco dip with meat so it is hearty enough that you can eat it as a main meal and be full. Or, you can take just a little bit and then try everything else that people bring.
The best thing about this dip recipe is that you can take out a few layers if, for example, someone hates beans. Make it a 7 layer taco dip, a 6 layer taco dip, etc.
Layered taco dip is the best.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Also, it’s so easy to make that you can prepare this dish quickly for last-minute guests, or prep it before you get ready to go to a party.
It is my go-to party recipe because it is so often requested by those that try it – keep that in mind. It’s a party favorite and everyone loves it.
I learned this step the hard way – at one party, everyone was huddled around the casserole dish and then there was none left for me!
Layer Taco Dip Recipe
My favorite part of this taco dip is the cream cheese layer. The sour cream and taco seasoning mix blend so well with the cream cheese that you could probably use that as a dip all on its own.
Want to go the extra mile? Make your own homemade taco seasoning!
Maybe even just make a cream cheese taco dip…. just sayin’. Taco dip is good for a few days after you make it – put any leftovers in the refrigerator.
How To Serve Taco Dip
Or skip the tortilla chips and serve it with Doritos. I’ve done both, recently. You could even skip the chips if you are counting your carbs and use just a fork.
Can Taco Dip Be Made Ahead of Time?
The answer to that question is YES. It can be served as a hot dip, right after preparation, or a cold dip if you make it ahead of time and then refrigerate it.
If you are going to be serving a lot of items, this is the one recipe you should definitely make the night before.
Taco Dip Without Cooking
If you want to make this even easier, skip the meat altogether and you don’t have to cook anything. If you are making this vegetarian, add the taco sauce to the cream cheese mixture instead.
Or, make it its own layer. The more layers the better!
Taco Dip Layer Substitutions
If you want to add or replace layers to this taco dip, here are a few suggestions for you:
- Avocado – diced or sliced avocado
- Guacamole – check out this guacamole keeper!
- Salsa – a thick and chunky salsa would be perfect.
- Ground turkey instead of ground beef
- Chicken – grilled chicken chunks or shredded rotisserie chicken
- Greek yogurt – instead of sour cream
- Chili – instead of ground beef or in addition to it
- Bell Peppers – Red or green bell peppers
- Hot green pepper – like jalapeños
If you don’t like it when the cheese is melted, make sure to add that layer towards the top.
Looking for more great party dips?
- 1 pound ground beef
- 8 ounce jar taco sauce, medium or hot
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 1.25 ounce package taco seasoning
- 16 ounce can fat free refried beans
- 1.5 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 2 ounce can sliced black olives, drained
- 2 green onions, diced
- Brown the ground beef in a large pan. Drain the fat and add the taco sauce. Mix well and set aside.
- In a bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the sour cream and taco seasoning. Mix until well combined.
- In a 3 quart dish, begin layering in this order - refried beans, cream cheese/sour cream mixture, ground beef, cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, black olives and green onions.
- Chill for 30 minutes prior to serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Onion Chopper Pro Vegetable Chopper by Mueller - Strongest - NO MORE TEARS 30% Heavier Duty Multi Vegetable-Fruit-Cheese-Onion Chopper-Dicer-Kitchen Cutter
- Pyrex 1107101 Basics Clear Oblong Glass Baking Dishes, 2 Piece Value Plus Pack Set
- GLOUE spatula-4pcs 450oF Heat-Resistant Baking Spoon & Spatulas - Ergonomic Easy-to-Clean Seamless One-Piece Design - Nonstick - Dishwasher Safe - Solid Stainless Steel, Multicolor
Nutrition Information:Yield: 14
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 440 Total Fat: 0g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 0mg Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 0g Protein: 0g
Looking for more taco-inspired recipes?
Looking for more fun appetizers? Try my antipasto skewers!