If you’re looking for an easy dinner, check out this recipe for crockpot creamy chicken mushrooms and peas. Perfect paired with a simple salad and some crusty bread!
When I started this website, I was a very beginner cook. I was enthusiastic but the idea of “from-scratch cooking” was, in all honesty, terrifying. Then, I was very likely to use prepackaged items as ingredients in my recipes.
As I cooked and experimented more, the fear went away and if you go through my website you can see the transition. I moved away from cans of condensed soups as ingredients to just broths, spices and the cans’ other components.
I like easy recipes that you can throw in your crockpot and those recipes come in many shapes. They can be from-scratch and also with some cans of this and that – why not share a little of both?
Crockpot Creamy Chicken Mushrooms and Peas
This recipe for crockpot creamy chicken mushrooms and peas is one that I stopped making for that reason. It uses a can of cream of chicken soup and a packet of Italian salad dressing mix. While I am unlikely to create a recipe like this again, it isn’t without its merits and is quite delicious and flavorful.
Plus, I can totally appreciate using those two items. Whether it’s time, price, or availability, there really isn’t anything wrong with getting a helping hand in the kitchen now and again.
If you want to stay “from-scratch” I have a solution for you:
- This recipe for homemade cream of chicken soup from Pinch of Yum is a great substitute for the can.
- This recipe for homemade Italian salad dressing mix from Simple Thrifty is a great substitute for the packet.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 envelope Italian salad dressing mix
- ¼ cup water
- 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 8 ounce can mushroom pieces, drained
- ½ cup frozen peas
- Grease your slow cooker. Place chicken in the bottom of a slow cooker in an even layer.
- Combine the Italian dressing mix and water in a bowl with a fork and pour evenly over chicken. Cover and cook on high for 2.5 hours.
- In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese and soup until blended. Add mushrooms and peas to mixture; stir. Pour mixture over the chicken and cook 2 hours longer on high heat. Stir and serve over pasta or alone.