An easy recipe for pumpkin pie spice mix and 10 great ways to use it!
I was messing around in the kitchen over the weekend, experimenting with some fall recipes and I ran out of the store bought pumpkin pie spice mix I had.
Then I remembered what happened that last time I ran out of a pre-made store mix – my taco seasoning mix was born. Love love loved it. So I tried my hand at making a pumpkin pie spice mix and I think this one is a winner.
I had everything on hand so the most difficult thing I had to do was grind the cloves with my mortar and pestle. Way harder than I expected/remembered – my forearm is a little sore still.
If you happen to have a coffee grinder handy, you can try that instead. It may/may not work according to my research.
I have also heard that taking a hammer to the cloves assists in the grinding. Thought about trying that out too, but then it started raining outside (I was going to put them on the concrete sidewalk) so I just stuck with the old school method.
I had ground cinnamon and nutmeg already on hand but you can use freshly ground instead if you want. Totally personal preference and what is handy in your kitchen.
Mix it all up and store it in a sealed container. Your mix should stay fresh for 2-3 years if properly stored.
I see many pumpkin pie spiced goodies in your future.
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Store in an air-tight container.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 42kcal Calories from fat 11|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 1g||2%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||20%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
10 Ways to Use Pumpkin Pie Spice Mix
Just in case you are searching for some more ways to use your pumpkin pie spice mix, I have done some research for you.
1. Pumpkin Pie (the most obvious choice of course)
2. Pumpkin Pie Spiced White Chocolate – Chocolate, Chocolate and More
3. Spiced Pumpkin Butter – I Wash You Dry
4. Brown Butter Pumpkin Spiced Rice Krispie Treats – Cookies and Cups
5. Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal – The Gracious Pantry
6. Pumpkin Pie Martini – The Noble Pig
7. Pumpkin Pie Cheese Ball – The Girl Who Ate Everything
8. Pumpkin Frozen Yogurt – A Couple Cooks
10. Pumpkin Spiced French Toast Sticks – Sweet Treats and More