If you’re short on time, make this tomato tortellini soup! It only takes 15 minutes from start to finish and is full of flavor. Plus, 3 easy variations!
I’m such a soup person that I spend hours thinking about soup. Okay, maybe not hours each day, but I do spend a lot of time planning what soup I am going to make or eat next.
My 3 ingredient black bean soup has been so popular that I decided I needed to test out another 3 ingredient soup recipe.
My new recipe, this recipe, is just as easy… and may even taste better.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Tomato Tortellini Soup
My immersion blender is used daily over here and I would be LOST without it. I highly suggest you purchase one asap.
Anyway, back to the soup. I highly suggest chicken stock over chicken broth but you can substitute broth if that is what you have on hand.
The fire-roasted tomatoes, on the other hand, are a big part of the flavor of this soup. They add an extra layer of flavor that plain diced tomatoes just don’t carry.
I usually just season to taste with some salt and crushed black pepper but we have also garnished with a little crushed red pepper, parmesan, and oregano.
Sound like something used for pizza? Well, we ordered pizza and had leftover toppings and I found them a home.
What kind of tortellini should I use?
For the tortellini, use any flavor – we have made it with cheese tortellini, prosciutto tortellini and mushroom tortellini. All ways were fabulous.
Tomato tortellini soup variations
As with many recipes with few ingredients, you are going to start imagining what you can add to it. They kind of became a canvass for your tummy. Brings a whole new meaning to palette when it pertains to food, right?
I’ve taken the guesswork out of it for you – here are 3 easy variations for my 3-ingredient tomato tortellini soup recipe:
- Cream of Tomato Tortellini Soup – Add 1/2 cup heavy cream or milk after cooking the tortellini. Stir well.
- Fiesta Tomato Tortellini Soup – Add 1/4 cup cilantro with the chicken stock and tomatoes. Squeeze the juice of one lime into the soup.
- Tomato Basil Tortellini Soup – Add 1/4 cup basil with the chicken stock and tomatoes.
Did you make this recipe? Tag @thethirstyfeast on IG!
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 28 ounce can diced fire roasted tomatoes (with liquid)
- 10 ounce bag of fresh tortellini
- Add the chicken stock and fire roasted tomatoes to a medium pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. When at a rolling boil, turn off heat and puree with an immersion blender.
- When pureed, add the fresh tortellini and cook for 3-4 minutes (read the package directions.) Turn off heat and serve hot.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 336Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 37mgSodium: 859mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 5gSugar: 10gProtein: 17g
Looking for more soup recipes? Try this meatball tortellini soup