3-Ingredient Tomato Tortellini Soup – if you’re short on time, make this soup! It only takes 15 minutes from start to finish and is full of flavor.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
I’m such a soup person that I spend hours thinking about soup. Okay, maybe not hours each day, but I do spend a lot of time planning what soup I am going to make or eat next.
My 3 ingredient black bean soup has been so popular that I decided I needed to test out another 3 ingredient soup recipe.
My new recipe, this recipe, is just as easy… and may even taste better.
Tomato Tortellini Soup
You need only three ingredients, a soup pot and an immersion blender to make this 3-ingredient tomato tortellini soup recipe. Our immersion blender is used daily over here and we would be LOST without it.
I highly suggest you purchase one asap.
Anyway, back to the soup.
I highly suggest chicken stock over chicken broth but you can substitute broth if that is what you have on hand.
The fire-roasted tomatoes, on the other hand, are a big part of the flavor of this soup. They add an extra layer of flavor that plain diced tomatoes just doesn’t carry.
I usually just season to taste with some salt but we have also garnished with a little crushed red pepper, parmesan, and oregano.
Sound like something used for pizza? Well, we ordered pizza and had leftover toppings and I found them a home.
What kind of tortellini should I use?
For the tortellini, use any flavor – we have made it with cheese tortellini, prosciutto tortellini and mushroom tortellini. All ways were fabulous.
Tomato Tortellini Soup Variations
As with many recipes with few ingredients, you are going to start imagining what you can add to it. They kind of became a canvass for your tummy. Brings a whole new meaning to palette when it pertains to food, right?
I’ve taken the guesswork out of it for you – here are easy variations for my 3 ingredient tomato tortellini soup recipe:
- Cream of Tomato Tortellini Soup – Add 1/2 cup heavy cream or milk after cooking the tortellini. Stir well.
- Fiesta Tomato Tortellini Soup – Add 1/4 cup cilantro with the chicken stock and tomatoes. Squeeze the juice of one lime into the soup.
- Tomato Basil Tortellini Soup – Add 1/4 cup basil with the chicken stock and tomatoes.
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 28 ounce can diced fire roasted tomatoes (with liquid)
- 10 ounce bag of fresh tortellini
- Add the chicken stock and fire roasted tomatoes to a medium pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. When at a rolling boil, turn off heat and puree with an immersion blender.
- When pureed, add the fresh tortellini and cook for 3-4 minutes (read the package directions.) Turn off heat and serve hot.
- KitchenAid KHB2351CU 3-Speed Hand Blender - Contour Silver
- DOWAN 22oz Porcelain Soup/Cereal Bowls - 4 Packs, White
- Nessie Ladle Turquoise by OTOTO
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 224 Total Fat: 6g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 25mg Sodium: 573mg Carbohydrates: 32g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 6g Protein: 11g
Looking for more soup recipes? Try this meatball tortellini soup