Apple cake a la mode is a fun and easy fall sundae dessert. Hot apple cake is topped with creamy vanilla ice cream and drizzles of caramel!
When the weather gets cooler, I start to dream about desserts that are decadent, delicious and dying to be eaten. Pies, of course, are super popular during the season change.
Also, apple season + pies = heaven.
But this isn’t a post about apple pies. Its about this delicious crumbly apple cake a la mode.
I decided on a recipe and over Labor Day weekend started testing it… and had a little accident with some caramel. After a trip to the ER, I took a few days to regroup and go back to the drawing board.
The drawing board kept bringing me back to my original idea so I decided to run out to the store and buy caramel syrup instead of making it from scratch… Couldn’t find any.
An apple cake sundae just cannot be without caramel so I sucked it up, and carefully made this caramel from scratch.
Apple Cake a la Mode
This little apple cake a la mode is a haphazard mix of apple cake, vanilla ice cream and caramel drizzle; it’s also the opposite of little. I like it because its not perfect – it’s just super delicious.
The apple cake portion is very easy to make – you don’t even need a stand mixer. I usually just use a little bowl and a mixing bowl; because the butter is already melted its super easy to combine the sugars and liquid.
I made the caramel before I started the cake so it had a chance to cool. If you are also making it from scratch, I recommend you do the same because caramel is hot. If you are using store bought caramel, keep it at room temperature.
When the cake is done baking, take it out of the oven and let it cool for 10 minutes. Then grab a big bowl and a big spoon cause it’s time to dig in.
We made one massive sundae because… Sunday. And pictures. You will probably want a smaller portion.
Take two large spoonfuls of apple cake and put that in the bottom of a bowl. Top it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and drizzle caramel over the top. Eat immediately. 🙂
If you have leftovers, put them in the freezer. We did and are slowly making our way through our massive (now frozen) apple cake sundae.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- pinch of cardamom
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups roughly chopped apples (peeled and cored, about 2 apples)
- vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease a 8x11 inch baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, use a wooden spoon to mix the brown sugar, white sugar and melted butter together. Add the beaten egg and vanilla extract and mix until sugar mixture is wet. Slowly add the set aside dry ingredients and mix until just wet. Fold in the apples.
- Pour the apple mixture into the set aside baking dish and put it in the oven for 20-25 minutes. Remove from the oven when the top is brown. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- To prepare an apple cake sundae, place 2 spoonfuls of apple cake in a bowl. Top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and drizzle caramel on top.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 271Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 46mgSodium: 150mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 1gSugar: 33gProtein: 3g