This roasted garlic tomato soup is recipe is easy to make and perfect when paired with a grilled cheese sandwich. This flavorful and aromatic soup is easy to make and is great as lunch!
This post is sponsored by Red Gold Tomatoes. Thank you for supporting the brands that I love! All opinions are my own.
When I told my best friend I was making a new tomato soup recipe, she was not surprised at all. Tomato soup has long been a favorite of mine and when we were roommates back in the day, I ate it often.
I’ve even shared a few tomato soup recipes here. My 3 ingredient tomato tortellini soup is delicious and quick to make. This recipe for sweet corn yellow tomato soup is super healthy and allergen free. And if you’re looking for a little kick, try my ground beef and tomato chipotle soup.
But I digress. This isn’t about my old recipes. It’s about my new recipe – roasted garlic tomato soup.
Roasted Garlic Tomato Soup
To start, you need a great tomato. I have been a big fan of Red Gold Tomatoes for years and they have the highest quality, freshest and best-tasting tomatoes. Also, they support and care about the same causes I do so it’s always been easy for me to get behind them as a company.
I used their petite diced tomatoes in my tomato queso dip and thought of their diced tomatoes for this soup recipe. And the rest was history.
Next, you need to roast some garlic. Take a full head of garlic and use a sharp knife to slice off the top. You’ll know you’ve gone far enough down when most of the garlic cloves have been exposed.
Looking for more soup recipes? Check out these fall soup recipes!
Drizzle olive oil on top, getting some onto each garlic clove, and then sprinkle salt on top. Wrap up the garlic clove in foil and put it in the oven.
While that is roasting, you can get started on the soup. Sauté some onions in a large soup pot and then add vegetable broth and a large can of diced tomatoes. Bring this to a boil and then let it simmer.
When the garlic is done roasting, remove it from the oven and carefully squeeze each clove to remove the garlic. I drop it all right into the pot. It’s going to be hot so be very careful.
Once all of the garlic is in the pot, I give it a good stir and then start pureeing everything. You can use a traditional blender or a hand-held stick blender – your preference!
I garnish with some bread or croutons, shaved parmesan cheese, and a drizzle of olive oil. You could also crack some pepper on top or even mini grilled cheese sandwiches. Lunch is served!
Did you make this recipe? Tag @thethirstyfeast on IG!
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil plus more for the garlic head
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 cups vegetable broth/stock
- 28 ounce can Red Gold Tomatoes diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt plus more for the garlic head
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- shaved parmesan
- olive oil
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F. Cut the top off of a he'd of garlic and drizzle olive oil on top. Sprinkle with salt, then completely cover in foil. Place in the oven and roast for 35 minutes.
- While this is roasting, add 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil to a large pot over medium heat. When oil is hot and the onion and sauté until translucent.
- Add the vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, salt, black pepper, and crushed red pepper. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes.
- When the garlic is done roasting, carefully remove it from the oven. Squeeze the roasted garlic into the soup pot. Stir well.
- Use a blender and puree until smooth.
- Serve hot.
Garnish with bread, croutons, parmesan, and/or olive oil.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 210 Total Fat: 10g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 15mg Sodium: 782mg Carbohydrates: 23g Fiber: 6g Sugar: 8g Protein: 9g