I am one of those weird people who eat soup all year round. The only time I won’t slurp down a bowl is if it’s over 100 degrees outside and my air conditioning can’t cool down my home enough.
I am also one of those people who collect cookbooks and recipes. Pinterest has been both a godsend and a curse, because it just gives me more food for my fodder. Or however that phrase goes. I read cookbooks and recipes for fun.
My mom got me a subscription to Cuisine at Home magazine, and I love it. LOVE it. They have some of the most interesting soup recipes out there. One of the first ones that I tried is a tomato-chipotle soup. So smoky, so smooth. I took some liberties and modified it to my liking. I also added meat, for Mr. B. I can’t link to the original recipe, but if you really want it – contact me. 🙂
There are a few small modifications that you can do to this recipe to make it paleo or gluten-free. Switch out the butter for vegan butter, omit the flour and the garnishes. And the flavors will still be there so don’t be afraid. I know from experience.
This ground beef and tomato chipotle soup is spicy and a little smoky, thanks to the adobo sauce. Adapted from Cuisine at Home Magazine, Issue 101 October 2013.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 3 tablespoons minced chipotles in adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce (from the canned chipotles)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 28 ounce cans diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- salt and pepper
- Chihuahua cheese
- Tortilla chips
- sour cream
- Melt the butter in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook until the onions are translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, chipotles and adobo sauce. Stir and cook for 2 minutes. Add the flour and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the broth and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover partly and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat. Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth.
- Brown the ground beef. Drain and add to soup. Put back on medium heat and heat until at serving temperature.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 2841kcal Calories from fat 1760|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 196g||302%|
|Saturated Fat 84g||420%|
|Dietary Fiber 37g||148%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|