Make everyone happy with this chicken fajita recipe. Chicken fajitas are the perfect recipe for summer family dinners plus bell peppers, onions, and spices!
I recently pulled my indoor grill out of a box and used it to make this chicken fajita recipe. Very, very nice and convenient! It kind of made me feel like I was not in the midst of a Chicago cold spell.
That alone is a success to me. These fajitas are amazing and I totally recommend you try this recipe.
Grilled Chicken Fajita Recipe
There are several ways to grill chicken if you don’t have a grill or it’s too cold outside to grill.
One, you can use an indoor grill – I recommend reading the instruction book to get cooking times. Second, you can use a grill pan; if that’s what you use, cook the chicken as though you were cooking it on a regular pan.
How to make chicken fajitas
The ingredient list below may look long but it’s really just the marinade ingredients, chicken, vegetables, and tortillas.
Once you have left the chicken marinade for 1-2 hours, you’re ready to get cooking. Grill your chicken and vegetables, heat up your tortillas, and you’re ready to eat.
Tip: if using a traditional grill, I recommend using a grill basket for the vegetables.
Grilled Chicken Fajita Marinade
My absolute favorite part of this recipe is the fajita marinade. It includes some of my favorite ingredients and can easily be made ahead of time.
The marinade is a mix of sweet, sour, savory, and bitter – the perfect blend.
Can I use fajita seasoning?
Yep! If you plan to use fajita seasoning, replace all of the spices and the garlic with 6 tablespoons of seasoning mix.
What to put in chicken fajitas
Besides the traditional chicken fajita vegetables (bell peppers and onions), you have your choice of many toppings.
Can I use steak?
You can use this recipe to make steak fajitas or vegetarian fajitas. I recommend skirt steak if going the steak route.
What to serve with fajitas?
So many options. I like to serve fajitas with rice and beans. My seasoned black beans are perfect for chicken fajitas!
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2.5 pounds boneless chicken breast,
- 4 bell peppers (green, red, yellow, orange), sliced into thin strips
- 2 sweet yellow onions, halved and sliced thin
- 10 Flour tortillas
- pico de gallo
- sour cream
- lime wedges
- In a small bowl combine all the marinade ingredients and mix well. Put the chicken breasts in one bowl and the peppers and onions in another. Pour half the marinade over the vegetables and the other half over the chicken. Mix well, cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Remove the chicken and vegetables from the refrigerator. Prepare your grill for high heat. Grill the chicken on both sides until it has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Remove from grill, cover and set aside.
- Then grill your vegetables until tender - about 10 minutes. If using a traditional grill, I recommend using a grill basket. Toss occasionally.
- Wrap your tortillas in a damp paper towel and warm in the microwave to 10 seconds just before serving.
- Cut the chicken into strips. To serve, place chicken in a warmed tortilla, top with vegetables and then with you topping of choice.
- Lodge 10.5 Inch Square Cast Iron Grill Pan. Pre-seasoned Grill Pan with Easy Grease Draining for Grilling Bacon, Steak, and Meats.
- Cuisinart GR-4N 5-in-1 Griddler, Silver, Black Dials
- Grillaholics Grill Basket - Large Grilling Basket for More Vegetables - Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Grilling Accessories Built to Last - Perfect Vegetable Grill Basket for All Grills and Veggies
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1 fajita
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 445 Total Fat: 17.6g Saturated Fat: 4.5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 101mg Sodium: 742mg Carbohydrates: 32.8g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 5.7g Protein: 38g
More dinner recipes you might like:
- Southwest chicken salad stuffed avocado recipe
- grilled chicken wraps with Spanish rice
- grilled chicken ranch pasta salad
- chicken tortilla soup