This chicken tortilla soup is easy to make thanks to pre-cooked chicken – you can even use a rotisserie chicken. It is full of vegetables and spice!
Soup is the perfect “throw together food” for those days when you are hungry and aren’t sure what to make. I’m sure you’ve been there before. Maybe you had a long day at work and don’t have the energy to cook.
Maybe you are a little under the weather and don’t want to think about putting something in the oven.
Soup can go in a pot and simmer while you’re watching Netflix or just vegging out. And there is nothing better than sitting on a couch, smelling all of the good smells coming out of your kitchen.
Looking for more soup recipes? Check out these fall soup recipes!
This chicken tortilla soup is so easy to make that you are going to put it at the top of your “throw together food” list. And if you don’t have one of those lists, make one now.
If it’s chilly, this delicious soup is going to warm you up. The spiciness is gonna take it to the next level. If it’s warm out, you’re still going to want it because it’s so tasty.
I’m not just saying that – we make it all time.
By using chicken that is already cooked, you can use up your leftovers. (Another plus!) Or, you can buy a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken and save even more time. I’ve used rotisserie chicken in recipes before. (Hello spicy rotisserie chicken noodle soup! Hello Southwest chicken salad stuffed avocados!)
If you’re in that place where you don’t want to cook, my chicken tortilla soup is coming to your rescue.
I used two different Chicken Tortilla Soup recipes to help me come up with this recipe – click on the sources here – Bon Appetit and Baked Bree. I guess I technically adapted my recipe from all three of those recipes.
Did you make this recipe? Tag @thethirstyfeast on IG!
- 4 cups chicken stock
- the juice of 1 lime
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 4 ounce can mild green chilies
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 diced carrot
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 2 smashed garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 jalapeno, finely chopped
- 1 serrano pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- salt/black pepper to taste
- 1 pound cooked chicken breast, chopped
- tortilla chips
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- Combine the chicken stock, lime juice, diced tomatoes, green chilies, cilantro, carrot, corn, onion, red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, garlic, and seasonings to a large soup pot. Stir well.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 hour.
- Then add the chicken and cook until at serving temperature.
- When serving, add tortilla chips to individual servings. Optionally, add cheese and sour cream now too.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 240 Total Fat: 6g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 56mg Sodium: 405mg Carbohydrates: 24g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 12g Protein: 24g