This Chicken Fajita Soup is made in the slow cooker; perfect for busy families and cool nights!
We partnered with Harmony Books to share this post!
Once the weather gets cold, all I want to do is dig into bowls of soup and comfort food. I have mentioned this so many times before and I know you’re all on the same page with me.
Sometimes a girl just needs some soup.
I recently received a copy of Trim Healthy Mama’s Trim Healthy Table from bestselling authors (and sisters!) Serene Allison and Pearl Barrett. It is chock full of delicious recipes to help you learn how to cook healthy.
It also includes recipes for cooking for big families. No more trying to batch up if you have a lot of kids or if you want to cook and freeze.
One of my “soup problems” is that I crave cream soups. I think they are the tastiest but they definitely are not the healthiest.
The Chicken Fajita Soup from Trim Healthy Table is the perfect answer to that problem. It includes some less-fat cream cheese which gives the soup the most delicate creaminess.
It’s the perfect answer to my creamy soup cravings.
Also, its a slow cooker recipe. When you have to cook for a whole table, your slow cooker becomes your best friend. I love prepping a meal, letting it cook and then being able to spend time outside of the kitchen.
All you need to do is prep your ingredients and throw them all into a slow cooker (except the cream cheese and lime wedges). After about 6 hours, remove some of the broth and blend it with the cream cheese.
Six hours is a lot of time out of the kitchen!
Grab some forks to shred the chicken and the voila! A delicious healthy soup, ready to eat with minimal time in the kitchen.
That’s my favorite kind of recipe!
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1 (10-ounce) can Ro-tel-style diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced, fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 (10- to 12-ounce) bag frozen small-cut seasoning blend
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (8-ounce) package less fat cream cheese (optional)
- Put all the ingredients (except the cream cheese and lime wedges) in a crackpot. Cover and cook on high for 6 hours. If using the cream cheese, remove 1 cup of the hot broth and place it in a blender with the cream cheese. Blend until smooth, then stir into the crockpot.
- Remove the chicken and shred on a plate with 2 forks. Return to the pot and stir well to combine.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 400Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 182mgSodium: 1919mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 63g
Reprinted from Trim Healthy Mama; Trim Healthy Table. Copyright ©2017 by Pearl P. Barrett and Serene C. Allison. Published by Harmony Books, an imprint of the Crown Publishing Group, a division of Penguin Random House LLC.