This chicken corn chowder recipe is creamy and hearty comfort food. The recipe is easy to follow and full of veggies – corn, potatoes, carrots, and celery! Also, you can save time by using a store-bought rotisserie chicken.
We still have to deal with cool nights as the weather gets warmer and the days get longer.
And the best way to conquer a chilly night is a chicken corn chowder recipe that is easy to make and warms your bones.
Put on your comfy pants and thick socks one last time before you box them up for the summer, and make a big pot of this chowder recipe.
Chicken Corn Chowder Recipe
This chicken corn chowder recipe mixes chicken, corn, half and half, and veggies. I went with red potatoes and left the skins on because the color is just fantastic in a pot of brown, pale items.
Also, the carrots and celery are perfect for flavor AND color.
Some recipe notes:
- Don’t skimp. Part of what makes this chicken corn chowder so great are the vegetables and the potatoes, so don’t cut back on their quantity. In fact, maybe even add more!
- Lighter version. If you want to lighten the calorie count, substitute 1% or skim milk. It will be less creamy, but the flavor is still fantastic.
- How much chowder? This is going to make A LOT of chowder. If you aren’t ready to eat chowder for a few days and aren’t cooking for a crowd, halve the recipe.
- Save time. Use a store-bought rotisserie chicken to save time. Or make your own rotisserie chicken at home.
Can I use frozen or canned vegetables instead of fresh ones?
You can use frozen or canned vegetables as substitutes for fresh ones. Frozen corn, canned corn, or a combination work well.
Canned carrots and celery can be used, too, though some prefer the texture of fresh veggies.
Can I make this soup vegetarian or vegan?
Absolutely! To make it vegetarian or vegan, omit the chicken or substitute it with plant-based protein like tofu or tempeh.
Replace chicken broth with vegetable broth and consider plant-based cream alternatives for the creamy texture.
How long does it keep in the refrigerator?
Chicken Corn Chowder can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Can I freeze this chowder recipe?
I do not recommend freezing chowders or soups like this with a dairy base like cream or milk.
What spices or herbs can I add for extra flavor?
You can enhance the flavor with herbs like thyme, parsley, or bay leaves.
Spices such as crushed red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, or a dash of hot sauce can add a spicy kick to the chowder.
Can I make it in a slow cooker or Instant Pot?
Chicken Corn Chowder can be adapted for a slow cooker or Instant Pot. For a slow cooker, combine ingredients and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
In an Instant Pot, use the soup setting for around 15-20 minutes, plus additional time for natural release. Adjust settings based on preferences and equipment.
What goes with chicken corn chowder?
Chicken corn chowder is very hearty, so keep that in mind when figuring out a menu plan.
A good start is bread and butter. I love buying fresh baguettes at the grocery store – the bread is super crunchy, and I love dipping it in the broth.
Also, cornbread – don’t forget about cornbread. Yum.
- 3 cups chicken broth or stock
- 2 cups corn kernels (frozen, then thawed)
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken cut into chunks (1.5 pounds of chicken)
- 2 cups diced red potatoes, skin on
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- green onion
- In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, sauté the onions for 5 minutes. Then add the celery and carrots, stirring frequently and sautéing for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, corn, chicken and potatoes. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the half and half and paprika. Cook for an additional 10 minutes or until the chowder returns to eating temperature.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 223Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 45mgSodium: 414mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 12g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated and may not be correct.