This savory apple galette is filled with apples, chicken, and cheese. It is the perfect fall weeknight dinner recipe. Plus, a savory pie crust recipe!
I love galettes! Pies have always seemed like too much work; unless you are making a “rustic” pie, you need to be so perfect. Instead, I like to make galettes which are rustic and natural looking all on their own.
Most galettes I have tried are sweet. This is probably because a galette is the perfect way to quickly make a sweet, hot dessert. But you can also incorporate potpie flavors or something more out-of-the-box.
If you’re looking for savory recipes with apples, this apple chicken cheddar galette is the one. It is perfect for dinner – and autumn.
Since we are coming to the heart of apple season, it’s time to start thinking about how to use apples in more ways than a pie. This galette is both unique and delicious.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
How to Make Savory Pie Dough
Start with your dough. Combine the flour, salt and black pepper in the bowl of a stand mixer, stirring briefly until the mixture is aerated. Cut the butter into the mixture until it is pea sized. Check out this tutorial on cutting butter into dough!
Drizzle in the ice water and mix it up until it’s just wet. Then shape the dough into a ball and it cover with plastic wrap. Throw it in the fridge to chill. You can make your pie dough as soon as an hour before you plan to bake your galette. While the dough is chilling, I usually cook up some chicken breasts and sauté the veggies for the galette.
When your dough is ready, flour a clean surface and your rolling pin and roll the dough out flat. Don’t worry about it being perfectly round or if it has jagged edges – that’s part of the appeal of a galette.
How To Make A Savory Apple Galette
To make the savory galette filling, oil a skillet and sauté the onion, celery and diced apple. Mix in the cooked chicken. Sometimes I use rotisserie chicken instead of cooking chicken breasts while the dough is chilling.
Pile your apple and chicken filling in the center and top it with the cheddar cheese chunks and a few apple slices. Then fold up the sides, brush the dough with a beaten egg, and sprinkle a little salt and pepper on the dough. Lastly, throw the galette in the oven.
When your apple chicken cheddar galette comes out of the oven, you will have a savory apple dish that is perfect for lunch or dinner. Sprinkle a little cinnamon on top and grab a glass of white wine – sauvignon blanc is my favorite – and you’re all set!
Tools That Would Be Helpful
Let’s start with making dough. A stand mixer or a pastry blender. If you’re feeling strong, this hand whisk is pretty cool. When you roll it out, a pastry mat comes in handy. If you plan on making a lot of pie doughs, I suggest investing in a marble pastry board.
After you have finished baking (I like this baking sheet btw), it is helpful to use a pizza rocker or a pizza cutter wheel. And don’t forget about presentation when you’re bringing this out at brunch! A dark wooden pizza board is a gorgeous accent piece on its own. If you want to use this really cool wood tray, use half of the recipe to make your galettes.
Looking for more savory apple recipes?
Savory Pie Dough
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed black pepper
- 8 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 4 tablespoons ice water
- 1 savory pie dough
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced apple
- 1 cup diced cooked chicken
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese chunks
- 1 small apple, cut into slices
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg, beaten
- cinnamon to sprinkle on top
- Combine the flour, salt and black pepper in the bowl of a stand mixer, stirring briefly until the mixture is aerated. Cut the butter into the mixture until it is pea sized.
- Drizzle in the ice water, mixing until the dough comes just together. Shape the dough into a ball, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour before using.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Flour your surface and using a rolling pin to flatten the dough into a round disk.
- In a pan, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. When the oil is hot, add the onion, celery and diced apple. Sauté until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken, stir and turn off heat.
- Transfer your dough to you baking sheet. Pour the apple/chicken filling in the center of the dough. Top with cheddar cheese chunks and apple slices. Fold the galette edges over the filling, leaving the center open and filling exposed.
- Brush the galette crust with the beaten egg. Sprinkle salt and pepper over the top of the galette.
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes, or until the crust is golden. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before serving. Before serving, sprinkle with cinnamon.
Pie dough loosely adapted from Chow - http://www.chow.com/recipes/10746-basic-pie-dough
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
OXO Good Grips Silicone Dough Rolling Bag
CHICHIC Professional French Rolling Pin for Baking 15 3/4 Inch Smooth Stainless Steel Rolling Pin Tapered for Baking Metal Baker Roller Dough Roller Best for Fondant, Pie Crust, Cookie, Pastry Dough
GOBAM Wooden French Rolling Pin for Baking Pie Pizza Pasta Cookies Pastry Dough, 15.8 x 1.6inches
14” Pizza Cutter by Kitchenstar | Sharp Stainless Steel Slicer Knife - Rocker Style w Blade Cover | Chop and Slices Perfect Portions + Dishwasher Safe – Premium Pizza Oven Accessories
Dreamfarm Scizza - Pizza Scissors, Non-Stick and Pizza Stone Safe Pizza Cutter and Server (Black)
Pizza Cutter, Super Sharp Cutter -Stainless Pizza Knife Wheel- One-Piece Molding is Easy to Clean, Suitable for Family Party, Festive Dinners, Student Party and ect
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 662Total Fat: 40gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 117mgSodium: 444mgCarbohydrates: 62gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 15g
Originally published August 2015, updated July 2019.