This Kentucky Mule recipe is a delicious twist on a traditional Moscow Mule cocktail. Kentucky bourbon, ginger beer, and fresh-squeezed lime juice make this an easy 3-ingredient cocktail, perfect for any party and any season.
I’d like you to meet the Kentucky Mule – the Moscow Mule’s older and more distinguished southern cousin.
Being from Illinois I am pretty lucky to have so many states around our borders – Wisconsin, Indiana, Iowa, and Missouri. And Kentucky.
I’ve had a love affair with Kentucky for awhile. It started off with a trip to Louisville one summer, followed by 2 road trip/houseboat vacations on Lake Cumberland in southern Kentucky. All I really need to complete my love affair is a tour around the Kentucky Bourbon Trail.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Kentucky Mule Recipe
As far as cocktails go, mule recipes are one of the easiest. Basic Moscow Mules only require 3 ingredients – vodka, ginger beer, and fresh lime juice. My Kentucky mule recipes switches out the vodka for bourbon.
Use these tips to make the perfect Kentucky Mule recipe:
- Quality bourbon will bring this easy cocktail to the next level. My favorite is Bulleit and I use it for all of my bourbon cocktails.
- Use large ice cubes instead of traditionally sized ice cubes. The ice will keep the drink cold without diluting the flavor.
- Fresh lime juice is a must.
- Rocks glasses or highballs are a great substitute for expensive copper mugs.
- Garnish! Use fresh lime slices or candied ginger.
More Moscow Mule Variations
If you would like to try out some more Moscow Mule variations, I have some excellent cocktails for you.
- 1.5 ounces bourbon
- ginger beer
- juice of 1 lime
- Add ice to a copper mug or a rocks glass. Pour the bourbon over the ice, add the lime juice, and fill up the glass with ginger beer. Garnish with additional lime slices.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 290Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 27mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 0gSugar: 48gProtein: 0g
Originally published in 2014 – Photos and Text updated January 2018.