Try this easy potato egg salad! It is the perfect side dish for your next BBQ and all of the summer holidays: Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day!
Originally published May 2013, text and photos updated June 2015.
Here’s my twist on potato salad. I like when there are a lot of eggs in potato salad, but if you add a lot of eggs, it gets close to being an egg salad – hence potato egg salad.
It’s great with hot dogs, hamburgers or any BBQ ready food. I always eat at least two helpings.
When I first published this recipe, it was for a Memorial Day menu (along with deviled eggs, my mom’s veggie dip, burgers, hot dogs, brats, pasta salad, and margaritas.)
My mom makes a similar version that is delicious and actually my favorite.
This is the closest I could get to recreating it, short of asking her for the recipe.
Potato Egg Salad
Making potato egg salad is very easy. You boil potatoes and then let them cool.
Once they are cool enough to touch without hurting your fingers, you add them to the saucy part (all of the wet ingredients and the spices go into a bowl and get whisked together.)
Then you add the potatoes and eggs and green onions. It’s really that simple.
I recommend cooking the potatoes a tad longer than you think you should. If they are too firm the salad doesn’t get the right consistency.
Looking for more recipes, perfect for holiday barbecues? Try my seasoned black beans or these easy roasted cherry tomatoes with garlic! Also, these roasted sweet potatoes or these crispy cheese and bacon potatoes.
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 5 hard boiled eggs (4 chopped, 1 sliced)
- 1 cup light mayo (for a richer taste, substitute regular mayo)
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika, and more to sprinkle on top
- 1 cup diced green onions
- Boil the potatoes until they are tender. Drain and cool slightly.
- Combine the mayo, vinegar, salt, sugar, pepper and paprika in a large bowl.
- Add the potatoes, green onions and chopped eggs and toss gently.
- Chill for at least 2 hours. Prior to serving, lay the sliced eggs on top, and sprinkle with paprika.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.