Each bite of these ginger candied carrots has a nice balance of lemons and ginger. It’s the perfect holiday side dish for ham or roasts.
Ginger candied carrots are the perfect side dish for both everyday meals and holiday dinners.
I think the best part of this candied carrot recipe is that you don’t have to use an oven. Yep – that’s right, you can save the oven for the main dish. Instead you use just one pot, making your cleanup easy too!
How to Make Ginger Candied Carrots
Begin by peeling and cutting your carrots. I like to cut the carrots lengthwise and then into stick shape. The smaller you cut the carrots, the quicker they will cook when boiled. If you cut them small, your cooking time will be shorter so check the carrots more often.
This part – cooking the carrots – is where the majority of the cooking time comes from. After you drain the carrots, they are returned to the same pot (one pot side dish!)
All of the remaining ingredients get added at this point. Gently stir everything together and after about 5 minutes, the carrots are ready to be served.
The ginger is my favorite part but if you’re not a ginger fan, leave it out.
More Carrot Recipes
More Side Dish Recipes
- 1 pound bag of carrots, peeled and cut into equal sizes
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- In a 4-quart saucepan heat the water to boiling over medium heat. When the water is boiling, add the carrots. Cover and simmer about 10 minutes, or until the carrots are tender. Drain and return to saucepan.
- Add the butter, ginger, brown sugar and lemon juice and cook on medium. Stir gently until the sugar is dissolved.
- After about 5 minutes, add the lemon zest. Stir and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 90Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 61mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 0gSugar: 9gProtein: 0g