Easy and delicious cream of mushroom wild rice soup! Only takes 30 minutes to cook.
I am undoubtedly a soup person. One of the first things I do at a restaurant is ask for the soup of the day. I’m even a soup person in the summer and I’m not talking gazpacho. Give me a bowl of hot, creamy potato or tomato soup any day, any temperature and I’m gonna be 10 times happier than I was when I walked in the door.
It may be spring and it may be warmer, but its rainy slash snowy and we are in a soup mood here at Casa de Honey y Birch.
After helping Mr. B fall as in love with mushrooms as I am, and that crazy week in the fall where I had to figure out what to do with 10 pounds of mushrooms (yes… 10 pounds), we took a much needed mushroom break. I just couldn’t eat another mushroom. Or even look at one.
But… time has passed and we are getting those mushroom cravings again. I combined my mushroom craving with my soup mood and Cream of Mushroom Wild Rice soup was born. They don’t teach that in biology class, kids.
Cream of Mushroom Wild Rice Soup
This recipe is easy, as many of my recipes are. I don’t want you getting so frustrated that you’re in a bad mood – ya know what I mean?
Anyway, I used every-day-nothing-crazy white mushrooms. You can usually find them sliced already at the store or you can cut them up yourself – give yourself a little more time if you need to do some slicing. Also, we used cooked wild rice. If you want to substitute other rice, go crazy. I recommend undercooking the rice just slightly because you will be cooking it more when it gets added to the soup pot.
Saute your veggies in a little butter, then add your liquid and seasoning. This soup is simple, but delicious. Just the way I like my soups, and life.
A simple and easy recipe for cream of mushroom wild rice soup.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced white onions
- 16 ounces white mushrooms, sliced narrow
- 4 cups vegetable broth or stock
- 1 1/2 cups cooked wild rice
- 1/2 tablespoon dried savory
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the celery, carrots and onions and saute for 2-3 minutes. Then add the mushrooms, stirring well. When the onions are translucent, add the vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Add the wild rice and savory. Simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in the heavy cream and bring the temperature back up to serving temperature. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 1400kcal Calories from fat 929|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 103g||158%|
|Saturated Fat 63g||315%|
|Dietary Fiber 18g||72%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|