Easy and delicious cream of mushroom wild rice soup! This recipe only takes 30 minutes to cook and is a great way to use leftover rice.
I am undoubtedly a soup person. One of the first things I do at a restaurant is ask for the soup of the day. I’m even a soup person in the summer and I’m not talking gazpacho.
Give me a bowl of hot, creamy potato or tomato soup any day, any temperature and I’m gonna be 10 times happier than I was when I walked in the door.
It may be spring and it may be warmer, but its rainy slash snowy and we are in a soup mood here at Casa de Honey y Birch.
Cream of Mushroom Wild Rice Soup
This recipe is easy, as many of my recipes are. I don’t want you getting so frustrated that you’re in a bad mood – ya know what I mean?
Anyway, I used every-day-nothing-crazy white mushrooms. You can usually find them sliced already at the store or you can cut them up yourself – give yourself a little more time if you need to do some slicing.
Also, we used cooked wild rice. If you want to substitute other rice, go crazy.
Saute your veggies in a little butter, then add your liquids and seasoning. This soup is simple, but delicious. Just the way I like my soups, and life.
What kind of mushrooms should I use?
There are a lot of options when it comes to edible mushrooms. My photos use common mushrooms. Some items for substitutes:
- Portobello Mushrooms.
- Oyster Mushrooms
- Shiitake Mushrooms
- Porcini Mushrooms
What kind of rice should I use?
I like using wild rice for this soup – it adds a lot of texture. You can also use white or brown rice. I recommend undercooking the rice just slightly because you will be cooking it more when it gets added to the soup pot.
You can also use leftover rice. Make sure to add cooked leftover rice in the last 5 minutes of cooking so that it doesn’t get soggy.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced white onions
- 16 ounces white mushrooms, sliced narrow
- 4 cups vegetable broth or stock
- 1 1/2 cups cooked wild rice
- 1/2 tablespoon dried savory
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the celery, carrots and onions and saute for 2-3 minutes. Then add the mushrooms, stirring well. When the onions are translucent, add the vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Add the wild rice and savory. Simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in the heavy cream and bring the temperature back up to serving temperature. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.
- Rösle Stainless Steel Ladle with Pouring Rim, Hooked Handle, 8-Ounce
- Lodge 6 Quart Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven. Classic Red Enamel Dutch Oven (Island Spice Red)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 286 Total Fat: 10.9g Saturated Fat: 6.2g Cholesterol: 33mg Sodium: 564mg Carbohydrates: 37.1g Fiber: 4.3g Sugar: 4.3g Protein: 12.3g