Slow Cooker Fiesta Chicken is crowd friendly and perfect for parties! Or, throw it in the crockpot in the morning and on the family dinner table at night.
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone.
Over the weekend, Mr. B initiated a takeover of my TV. For college basketball.
This happens every March and while I expect it and know it is coming, it still takes me by surprise. We invite people over a lot to watch games and the big draw for our friends to come over here is that we provide dinner (or lunch if its a day game.) Last year, I was taken by surprise and we ordered out a lot. Not happening this year.
I got an idea for a slow cooker chicken meal that is perfect for several weeks of basketball games and is very crowd-friendly. One, it is easy to make and is done in 3 hours. Two, you can head over to Walmart and pick up all of the ingredients for several weeks at once. I love canned goods like RO*TEL for just that reason (speaking of RO*TEL – grab a coupon deal that ends April 6th (while supplies last) so download and use it today!)
If you know people are coming over to watch a 3 o’clock basketball game, start prepping at noon.
Pull out your biggest slow cooker and layer the chicken in the bottom. I put the chicken thighs on the bottom and the chicken breast on top of them. Then, layer the black beans, frozen corn and RO*TEL tomatoes and green chiles on top of that. Cook on low for three hours and check the chicken with a thermometer (make sure it’s reached 165 F.)
When the chicken is done, start cooking some rice, and then put the finishing touches on the chicken. Before you stir everything together, add your spices, fresh cilantro and a little cornstarch. The ingredients in the slow cooker give you a surprising amount of liquid and the dish tastes and looks better when that liquid is a little thicker.
Set your slow cooker on warm and move it next to your plates and the cooked rice. Serve it as-is, or with shredded cheese or sour cream as garnish and you’ll have some happy and full basketball fans. Well, happy if their team wins.
Are you making any game day foods with RO*TEL tomatoes and green chiles this year? Grab a coupon and let me know what you’re making!
- 4 pounds chicken, cut into equal sized pieces (I use half thighs, half breasts)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 29 ounce can black beans, drained
- 2 10 ounce cans RO*TEL diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 cup finely diced cilantro
- sour cream
- Layer the chicken in your slow cooker, making sure it is positioned evenly. Spread the corn, black beans and tomatoes on top of the chicken. Cover and cook on low for 3 hours.
- When the chicken is cooked through, add the chili powder, cumin, salt, corn starch and cilantro to the slow cooker and stir. Be careful not to break the chicken apart and stir until the seasoning and corn starch are mixed into the liquid.
- Serve with a slotted spoon with cooked rice.
This RO*TEL coupon deal ends April 6th (while supplies last) so download and use it today!
Disclaimer: This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #JustAddRotel #CollectiveBias