This chicken tortilla soup is perfect for these last cold days of winter. It is full of vegetables and with the added tortilla chips – its crunch time!
This winter sucks.
Yup, I said it. This has been a sucky winter. I feel a little better letting go of that. I’m so darn sick of the cold and we have another cold spell upon us in Chicago right now. AND more snow on the way.
I am pretty sure I have a case of seasonal affected disorder. The bleakness of each day – the constant cold, the unending snowfall – has really brought me down. There is a bright side however – meteorological spring starts on Saturday and the sun and flowers are coming soon.
I am trying so hard to stay positive.
Thank goodness Mr. B’s and my trip to Vegas is very, very soon. It may not be summer hot there, but it will be in the 70’s and I’m ecstatic about not having to wear a scarf each day.
I decided to make Chicken Tortilla Soup because it felt like the perfect combination of winter and Vegas. Soup for warmth in the winter and spiciness for the heat of the Nevada dessert. I’m now eating and cooking symbolically. Ha.
I used three different Chicken Tortilla Soup recipes to help me come up with this recipe – click on the sources here – Southern Food, Bon Appetit and Baked Bree. I guess I technically adapted my recipe from all three of those recipes.
- 4 cups chicken stock
- the juice of 1 lime
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 4 ounce can mild green chilies
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 diced carrot
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 2 smashed garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 jalapeno, finely chopped
- 1 serrano pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- salt/black pepper to taste
- 1 pound cooked chicken breast, chopped
- tortilla chips
- shredded cheese (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- Combine the chicken stock, lime juice, diced tomatoes, green chilies, cilantro, carrot, corn, onion, red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, garlic, and seasonings to a large soup pot. Stir well.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 hour.
- Then add the chicken and cook until at serving temperature.
- When serving, add tortilla chips to individual servings. Optionally, add cheese and sour cream now too.
Vegetarian Option: replace with vegetable stock and omit the chicken.