My version of a Trader Joe’s meatless recipe – Slow Cooker Ground Beef and Chorizo Chili.
This last week has been crazy. After my Memorial Day BBQ (which I forgot to take pictures of – didn’t take a single picture of any of the food that I made or my handmade decorations), I started a whirlwind week at work. With the Blackhawks games and then the largest street fest of the year for the bar I work at, I have been moving non-stop.
Finally, I have a few days off and I can get back to business. And by business I mean blogging.
Mr. B and I decided to try a new chili recipe – I searched through what felt like a thousand recipes and found one I kind of liked on the Trader Joe’s website. What really spoke to me was the addition of soy chorizo – chorizo is not an ingredient I use often, and I’ve never used soy chorizo and it got me a little excited.
The Trader Joe’s website was meatless so we
fixed changed that and then made a couple of other changes to make it our own.
Slow Cooker Ground Beef and Chorizo Chili
This was one of the easiest recipes ever and the chorizo adds great flavor and texture to the chili. I imagine if I had used regular chorizo it would have been just as delicious. You can also make this on the stovetop in a dutch oven if you cook on low. It’s important to cook it for a long time so the flavors can develop.
I hope you enjoy it as much as meadapted from Trader Joes
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 a large red onion, diced (1 cup)
- 3 bell peppers (I used 1 green, 1 red and 1 orange), diced (4 cups total)
- 2 jalapenos, 1 seeded and diced, and 1 diced with the seeds
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 package of Chorizo
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 15 oz can black beans (not drained)
- 1 15 oz can pinto beans (not drained)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat vegetable oil. Add the onion, peppers, jalapenos and garlic. Stir to coat all the vegetables in oil and reduce heat. Cook about 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Transfer the vegetables to the crock pot.
- Return the skillet to medium heat and add the ground beef and chorizo. Saute until browned and add to the vegetables.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cook on low for 5 hours.
- Serve with optional sour cream and shredded cheese.
adapted from Trader Joes
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 2758kcal Calories from fat 1086|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 121g||186%|
|Saturated Fat 31g||155%|
|Dietary Fiber 85g||340%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Join the newsletter!
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.