This bean burrito casserole is the perfect weeknight vegetarian freezer meal. Pull the casserole dish out of the freezer and defrost it during the day. Pop it in the oven after work and have dinner on the table in just 30 minutes!
When I was in college, I was lucky to have a really great dorm cafeteria. I had heard so many horror stories about college food so my hopes weren’t high when I went away to school.
I was so lucky that somewhere in the depths of the cavernous kitchen was a chef that could create delicious food.
One of my all-time favorite dishes was a bean burrito casserole. Every single time it was on the menu, I would order multiple portions and freeze enough for multiple days. I just couldn’t get enough of it.
My freezer containers got me to thinking – there has to be a way to make it myself and turn it into a freezer meal.
Well, there totally is!
Bean Burrito Casserole
You can prepare the bean burrito casserole and cook it right away or you can freeze it and cook it a few days later. All you have to do is cover it with plastic wrap and then foil and pop a prepared casserole in the freezer.
Take one out of the freezer in the morning and let it defrost during the day. Then, when you’re ready to eat dinner, turn on the oven and let the casserole cook for 20-25 minutes.
Serve this vegetarian dinner on the table with a side salad and refrigerate any leftovers!
- 31 ounces of salsa
- 8 ounces diced green chiles
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 32 ounces canned refried beans
- 1.25 ounces taco seasoning
- 4 large burrito-size flour tortillas
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- green onion to garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the salsa and green chiles. In a second medium bowl, combine the sour cream, refried beans and taco seasoning.
- In the bottom of a 9x13 inch casserole dish, spoon one quarter of the salsa mixture creating the bottom layer. Rip one tortilla into strips and place them on top of the salsa. Spoon one third of the bean mixture on top of the salsa. Top with 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- Repeat the layers as follows two times: 1 tortilla, one quarter salsa mixture, one third bean mixture and one cup cheese. Then rip the last tortilla into strips, placing it on top of the cheese and cover that with the remaining salsa mixture
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until cheese has melted. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with diced green onions.
If freezing, cover with plastic wrap and then foil after preparing before placing the entire dish in the freezer. Let the casserole thaw before cooking. Then cook it in the oven at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until cheese has melted. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with diced green onions.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10-12
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 411Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 58mgSodium: 1597mgFiber: 6gSugar: 7gProtein: 17g