You may have seen me mention my husband being a meat and potatoes kind of guy – with his love of potatoes he is very much the stereotypical Irishman. I sometimes imagine him having been fed a steady diet of only potatoes from the time he was a wee little boy, perhaps even with a pureed potato IV or something similar.
His mom makes a delicious batch of mashed potatoes with onions, and I introduced him to garlic mashed when we started dating (no onions for me). And as much as I love mashed potatoes, they can get boring. Enter our good friend cheese.
This recipe is pretty simple – you’ll need a large pot to boil the potatoes, a bowl to mash them, and a 3 quart dish to bake the starchy suckers. We used a mix of cheddar cheeses, but you can use just about any cheese you want – I highly recommend melted blue cheese crumbles.
- 5 pounds of potatoes
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- 1 cup shredded mild cheddar
- 1 cup shredded sharp white cheddar
- paprika (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 3 quart dish and set aside.
- Peel and dice potatoes. Put potatoes in a large pot and fill with water until just covered. Place over medium-high heat and boil until cooked through.
- Empty potatoes into a colander to drain out the water, and then put into a large bowl.
- Add butter, sour cream, garlic, pepper and salt to potatoes. Using a potato masher (or a hand mixer), mash until all ingredients are incorporated and potatoes are well pressed.
- Pour mashed potatoes into baking dish and evenly distribute them through the dish.
- Spread cheeses over then and put in oven uncovered for 10-15 minutes (until cheese is melted and bubbly).
- Remove from oven. If you’d like, sprinkle with paprika before serving.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 3418kcal Calories from fat 1411|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 157g||242%|
|Saturated Fat 92g||460%|
|Dietary Fiber 50g||200%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Mr. B thought they were perfect without the paprika, I thought the paprika was a necessary addition. To each their own. Either way, this recipe is a nice alternate version of a classic favorite.
This recipe was included in the following link parties: