I’ve partnered with Red Gold Tomatoes to share this recipe and giveaway. All opinions are my own.
Slow cookers. Chili. Football. Fall. Canned goods, particularly tomatoes… … …
I could go on and on, but I think you know where I’m going here. A canned tomato giveaway of course, with a little recipe for chili thrown in for good measure.
I noticed I really have a thing for Midwest companies – especially food companies from Indiana. Little did I know that all this time I’ve been buying Red Gold tomatoes, they were from the state east of me. And when Red Gold reached out asking if I would help promote their family-focused slow cooker initiative this fall, I said “Of course!” You all know how much I love my slow cookers.
We may not be a big family (just 2 people plus 1 dog,) but it’s still a challenge sometimes to have a hot meal waiting every day. Slow cookers really help us out since you can leave it and go. To help other families have a hot meal waiting after school or after work, Red Gold is also hosting a promotion (which started Sept. 17.) They are giving away two slow cookers a day for three weeks on its Facebook page — that’s 44 Crock-Pots. And a lot of home cooked hot meals. 🙂
Also, they have offered to give away a tomato kit to one of readers to get you started!
The kit you could win contains 2 cans crushed tomatoes, 1 can diced tomatoes, 1 can diced w/ green chills, 1 diced with lime juice and cilantro and 1 diced with garlic and olive oil, plus a Red Gold apron, wooden spoon and recipes, such as the Sausage & Sweet Potato Chili that is in the pictures and below.
The recipe below was provided by Red Gold and is just one of the recipes included in the tomato kit that you could win. I took a little liberty because I ran out of black beans (what?! impossible?! you?) and substituted kidney beans.
Sausage and Sweet Potato Chili
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans or 1 (28 ounce) can Red Gold Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can Red Gold Diced Tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans drained and rinsed (but I substituted kidney beans)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 1 cup shredded cheese for garnish
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage over medium heat until thoroughly cooked (8-10 minutes) and drain off the excess fat.
- Spray a large slow cooker with cooking spray. Add sausage and all remaining ingredients except cheese. Stir.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours. Stir well before serving and top each serving with cheese.
And here’s the giveaway (Rafflecopter sometimes takes a minute to load so give it a chance…)
This giveaway is open to US residents ages 18+. More terms and conditions can be found on the widget. Giveaway ends at midnight October 1st, 2014 (CST).
I received a Red Gold tomato variety pack, apron, and wooden spoon (and they are also providing the giveaway prize), but as always, all opinions stated in this post are my own.