There’s something about the crunchy nuts and crisp asparagus with the creamy tang of the Gorgonzola sauce that I find truly satisfying. This is one of my favorite recipes. Its even good without the chicken – Mr. B however requires protein.
I had a similar dish at a local Italian restaurant years ago. It was so good that I ordered it for delivery a bunch of times until I finally decided to make it myself. Lots of trial and error later, this is the recipe I came up with.
I am a firm believer that blue cheese (and all its varieties) is the best cheese. The only thing I’m not looking forward to about getting pregnant is that I won’t be able to eat this dish. Something about blue cheese and babies not getting along…
So, get your creative food juices flowing. Your recipe could be any category or type of food – breakfast, dinner, dessert – meat, vegan, fake food.
Well, maybe not fake food. :)~
I can’t wait to see which recipes win. Good luck!
Chicken Rigatoni Gorgonzola
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1 pound asparagus, sliced
- 1 pound cooked rigatoni noodles
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (I use Sauvignon Blanc)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, sliced and diced
1. Move a rack in your oven to the second from the top spot. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Cover a cookie sheet/baking sheet with tin foil and spread the pine nuts evenly over the foil. Dry roast for 10 minutes and remove from oven. Transfer to a large bowl and set aside.
2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, asparagus and garlic and saute about 5 minutes. If you are making a half portion of this recipe, saute for less time. Transfer to the same bowl as the roasted pine nuts.
3. Add the white wine to the now-empty skillet. Simmer until reduced by half, about 2 minutes. Add the cream and the cheese to the skillet. Simmer until the sauce has thickened – 5-7 minutes.
4. Combine the pine nuts, mushrooms, asparagus, chicken and sauce in a large bowl and toss. Add salt and pepper to taste.